Currently I am reading about something in the bible that I have always loved- Nehemiah and the rebuilding of Jerusalem. Nehemiah and the Israelite's had been in captivity, and through God they were able to go back home and start rebuilding their wall around Jerusalem. But it wasn't without opposition. The nations around them didn’t want this. They knew it was a step towards Israel independence, which posed threat to them. Yet through that, “The wall was completed on the twenty-fifth day of Elul, in just fifty-two days. When all our enemies heard and all the nations who were around us saw this, they were greatly disheartened. They knew that this work had been accomplished with the help of our God.” -Nehemiah 6:15-16 NET. Notice, that they rebuilt the wall, with God’s help. See I believe there are times of great rebuilding in our lives, the wall around Jerusalem was rebuilt in just 52 days. Unheard of without power tools. Now maybe in your life it doesn’t go that fast, (or that obvious) but it happens. God is always wanting to rebuild something in our lives.
Now before we can rebuild something, we have to start with a foundation and refining that foundation to get ready for the work above it. Nehemiah had to be in a spot to hear from God to ask the King to leave. To get there, Nehemiah had to trust God on a deep level because the King could have easily executed him. His faith had to be refined. Before you can rebuild, you must be refined. A building whose foundation has not been tested, strengthened, or refined, will not stand up under the rebuilding. It’s the same way with our hearts. Jesus brings us through the fire, to prepare us for this very reason.
Once this refining has taken place, the rebuilding can be done. This can take many different forms and can happen slowly or quickly. Rebuilding is happening in my life as I write this very post. It won’t be easy. I’ve been hurt by my friends, by church, and by pastors I looked up to, and it shook my faith to its core. Yet through this, Jesus has done something new. He is rebuilding my faith, how I worship him, and how I approach friendships in my life. This process isn’t easy, and it isn’t promised like that. Opposition will always be there. While the Israelite's were rebuilding they had someone standing guard over every single builder. They were constantly on guard since their walls were down, knowing they had to work together in community to get it done. I believe this is key to rebuilding. I have a great friend, who has been that person standing guard many, many times. I call him my shield brother. Someone who watches you, and you watch them. Because while you’re rebuilding you need protection. If this friend needs prayer he gets it, even if I have no idea for what. Together, we have grown in our faith and started stepping into what God has for us. We have come alive. Remember, we were not meant to do life alone. So don’t. Find a friend, or two, or 5. Live in a community. If you don’t have that, search for it. Ask for it. Pray for it. Jesus wants to rebuild us, and he knows we can’t do it alone.
But even more than a friend, you need Jesus. The Israelite's only completed the wall with God’s help, and everyone around them knew it. Only he can rebuild the things in your life that need to be rebuilt. So let him. Partner with him. Let him transform you into who he made you to be. I know that’s my plan. Rebuilding can be a hard process, but in the end it reaps eternal rewards. So, when the offer comes, take a deep breathe, focus on Jesus, and dive into what Jesus has for you to rebuild. He WILL make all things new. He did it back then, and he will do it again.
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forevermore.” -Hebrews 31:8
No comments:
Post a Comment